Launch Word Play
Playtime and story time are great opportunities for you to talk with children and build vocabulary. Choose one of the interactive stories. As you share it with kids, point out and talk about the new vocabulary words. After reading, you might act out some of the scenes together, and pretend to be snow monsters or playground detectives. You might:
- Ask what happens next, to help kids think ahead and make predictions.
- Talk about the color, texture, and shape of pretend play objects.
- Draw a picture together and then act it out.
- Use household objects as props, creating untraditional or magical uses for them.
- Switch roles to help encourage flexible thinking.