Together with children, watch Grover the goofy dentist learn about tooth-friendly foods. Keep in mind:
- Water is good for teeth and bodies. It washes away food/bacteria and dilutes acids, and water with fluoride in it strengthens teeth and helps prevent decay.
- Children should drink water during meals and snacks, and throughout the day.
- “Anytime foods” such as crisp fruits and vegetables are good for children’s teeth. They increase the flow of saliva and they have vitamins that keep gums healthy.
- Not all healthy foods are good for teeth! The acid in oranges, grapefruits, and lemons acid content can erode enamel, making teeth more vulnerable to decay, so children should rinse with water afterward.
- Brush or rinse after a snack, and space meals and snacks to give children’s mouths a chance to wash away food.