Watch the video together, then ask:
- Why was the chicken feeling upset?
- What did Elmo say to the grown-up about what had happened?
- How did the grown-up say Elmo could help?
- Have you ever been in Elmo’s position? What did you do? What could you do next time?
- Have you ever felt like the chicken? What did you do? What could you do next time?
Explain that children can be “upstanders”! Bystanders notice bullying and don’t say anything, but upstanders stand up for the child being bullied.
You can also talk about the difference between “tattling” and “reporting.” Tattling is telling on someone (trying to get them into trouble) when they aren’t hurting anyone’s bodies or feelings. Reporting is when we’re helping someone whose feelings or body are being hurt.