The Big Idea: This workshop will help providers prepare for emergencies in their setting and update their plans.
- Print a copy of Emergency Preparation for Childcare Providers for each participant. Provide some highlighters, pencils, or pens as well.
- Let participants know that preparing for emergencies in a childcare setting is important for them and the families they serve. Ask: “What are the things you’ve already done to prepare for emergencies?” These could be things required by the state or licensing agency or preparations they’ve done on their own.
- Hand out copies of Preparing for Emergencies in a Childcare Setting. Ask participants to check off any items they’ve done as you read together. They can highlight any things they would like to do in the future.
- Invite participants to share their experiences with emergencies or emergency preparations. They might be able to offer ideas for meeting spots, emergency kit items, holding a parent night, etc. that others can write down and use in their own settings.
- Direct participants to the Sesame Street emergency preparedness resources at SesameStreet.org/ready. Let them know that the site has videos, checklists, and an interactive emergency plan page. Encourage them to explore the resources and share them with families as well.