Launch Outside, Inside
Share this storybook with children. Wes and his dad Elijah, the new friends on Sesame Street, pop onto each screen to help adults and children engage in meaningful, playful ways around the big ideas in the book. These interactions can help children:
- describe themselves and others—inside and out—in positive ways that build awareness of our shared similarities and differences;
- engage with the concepts in the context of their own lives and the lives of their families;
- understand that we can connect and become friends with others who don’t look, sound, or act like us—and that we all matter equally;
- embrace racial, cultural, and ethnic similarities and differences;
- appreciate that working together builds a better world for everyone;
- begin a lifelong dialogue and discovery around who we are; and
- celebrate our shared humanity!
In conversation, and depending on children’s age, you might share the idea that we are all one race—the human race! Race is an important part of who we are, but it’s not all we are.