Watch the video together and let kids know it’s good to ask questions about the things happening around them. Then consider more ways you can offer your child comfort:
- Give your child an item like a stuffed animal or blanket.
- Hold hands and snuggle often.
- Choose at least one routine you can all count on to continue even when your situation or location has changed, such as the same lullaby every night, or observing the shape of the moon before bed.
- Together, look for the helpers. Focus on all the people around you working to make things better.
- “Belly breathe!” Put your hands on your bellies and take three deep breaths in and out, feeling your bellies rise and fall. Put a stuffed animal on your child’s belly and have him “rock it to sleep” as he breathes.
- Avoid your child seeing repeated images of the disaster and damage on television and online.