The Big Idea: When a loved one dies, there are ways to remember special times with them.
- Before viewing with your child: Preview the video by yourself first. If you decide to share it with your child, explain that it’s about a little monster named Buddy whose neighbor died, and Buddy is feeling sad and confused.
- View the video together once. On a second viewing, you might pause whenever children seem interested or have questions, or when something seems similar to their experience.
- After viewing: Talk with children.
- Answer any questions children may have with simple, honest language. When someone dies, their body stops working.
- Help children name their feelings and express them. Reassure children that it’s okay to feel many feelings, even all at once.
- If you’ve lost a loved one, spend time remembering special moments spent with them.