The Big Idea: Help parents to connect with one another and form a community of support as they share and discuss their parenting experiences.
- Show the “Spending Time Together” video. Acknowledge that parenting can feel lonely and overwhelming, and parents can involve kids in helping out. Lead a conversation about ways to engage the whole family in everyday activities. Ask: what are some ways you might involve children as you clean, prepare a meal, sort laundry, and run errands? Write participants’ suggestions on chart paper.
- Then break into smaller groups. Have groups share and discuss one way that they feel confident as parents and one way that they feel overwhelmed.
- Ask participants to talk in their groups about whether they have a system of support and what they can do to develop one. Have participants share ways that they get the parenting support, advice, and positive pick-me-ups that they need.
- Distribute the printable for parents to complete and take home.
- As participants leave, play the “What I Am” video.