Even on the go and on a budget, you can help your child get the nutrition they need:
- Choose water over soda, juices, or shakes.
- Choose grilled or baked instead of fried or breaded (for instance, a baked potato over french fries).
- Look for fruits, vegetables, and salads.
- Skip the cheese and go lighter on mayonnaise and sweetened sauces like ketchup or barbecue sauce.
- Be aware of large portions (children need less than adults), and share the meal or bring a container to save it for later.
- Look for healthy desserts such as sliced fruit.