Separation from a parent or caregiver can cause big feelings like anxiety and fear (“What if Mommy doesn’t come back?”)! After you watch this video, consider ways to help children feel more secure and confident when apart from their nearest and dearest:
- Prepare kids in advance (“____ is coming to take care of you, and I’ll be back after you eat lunch.”)
- Play games like peek-a-boo and hide-and-seek to help kids learn that something may be out of sight, but it’s not gone forever.
- Leave little ones with a family photo to look at throughout the day.
- Try a goodbye routine, such as two hugs and a kiss or a funny parting phrase such as, “See you later, alligator!”
- Pictures or notes in kids’ lunch or snack containers will brighten their day and let them know they’re missed.