Print and share any or all of these pages with your child (if you don’t have access to a printer, you might look together on screen and talk about what you see). Sit side by side with crayons, colored pencils, or markers. Read the directions together, and help children complete the activities.
You can do the whole book at once, or just print out individual pages. Check out the pages that are meant just for adults and consider the tips and ideas for stretching your grocery dollars and offering your family healthy food.
As you help children complete the pages, there’s an opportunity to discuss any challenges you’re facing in getting enough healthy food. If you’re having these difficult conversations, here are some things you might say:
- While we may not always have the food we want, I’m working hard to make sure our family has the healthy food we need.
- We won’t always be having this problem. There are other grown-ups who know how to help us.
- Working through tough times together is going to help us grow stronger as a family.
- We will keep finding new ways to stay healthy together.
- You are an important part of our family’s healthy team. We can plan meals together, shop for healthy food, and work together to prepare it.