In the face of these challenges, you can model healthy goodbyes. In the video, providers talked about three strategies. Consider how they each might look in action in your work, viewing the video again if helpful. What exactly will you say or do, and how? Write down one idea for each strategy, being as specific as possible:
- Establish routines
- Let children know when a change is coming
- Celebrate the positives and share memories
Then consider these questions. If viewing with colleagues, discuss your thoughts.
- What is the relationship between setting limits and providing a sense of security?
- What do you think are the most important benefits for children of feeling safe?
- What would helping children “ease in” look like in your setting? (What opening song might you sing together? What type of greeting might you offer? What might a tabletop activity be?)