As a childcare provider, you know how important it is to be ready for anything—including an emergency. Consider these ideas:
- Talk with children about emergencies.
- Explain that an emergency is when something unexpected happens and we have to act quickly to keep everyone safe.
- Introduce children to the idea that neighborhood helpers like teachers, doctors, police officers, and firefighters are here to help.
- You can print out the Sesame Street emergency plan pages.
- Give parents a copy of your emergency plan.
- Hold a “Preparing for Emergencies” family night to talk about your plan. You can also share ways that families can prepare for emergencies at home.
- Ask families to complete their own emergency plans and give you copies. Keep one set in your setting, and take one set anytime you leave for an outing.