Learning new things takes practice. Just as Elmo’s Daddy does, remind kids that if there’s something they can’t do, it won’t always be that way. It’s not that they can’t do it; they may just not be able to do it yet.
Watch the video together. To help kids keep trying when they’re frustrated, you might:
- Remind them of things they couldn’t do before and then achieved with practice, like write their name or ride a tricycle.
- Demonstrate! Sometimes, seeing someone else do a task or solve a problem can give kids new ideas for trying on their own.
- Encourage them to breathe, think, and do:
- Take slow, deep breaths in through the belly and out through the mouth
- Think of a few plans to solve the problem and keep trying
- Try out one of the plans, and if it doesn’t work, try the next one!