Launch Abby's Letter Garden
Entering preschool or kindergarten with some knowledge of the letters of the alphabet and the sounds they make gives children a leg up on learning. Help children play the game in which they help Abby “grow” letters. You might:
- Help older children learn the exact letter strikes (younger children will benefit from “writing” on screen any way they like).
- Focus on the letters in children’s names.
- Together, name more words that start with each letter. Write that letter at the center of a sheet of paper, and draw those things around it.
- Help children practice writing letters on green paper to grow their very own letter garden, or decorate letters with drawings of flowers like Abby’s.
- Follow up with your own real-world letter hunt when you’re out and about by looking for certain letters on signs.